As the leaves and temperatures continue to fall, you want to make sure your car is prepared for the harsher weather. Here are five simple steps you can take to make sure you’re prepared for the changing seasons.
- Check your wiper blades. Auto experts recommend changing your windshield wiper blades at least once per year. Fall usually brings heavier and more frequent rain and having effective wipers is extremely important. Changing the blades is relatively simple and inexpensive.
- Check your tire pressure. As the temperatures drop, so does the pressure in your tires. And, don’t forget to check your spare, too. Having a flat or improperly inflated spare is no better than not having one.
- Check your fluids. Since you’ll be using your windshield wipers more, you’ll probably be using more windshield washer fluid as well. Make sure this is topped off and check all your other fluids (antifreeze, brake fluid, oil, etc.) while you’re at it.
- Check your battery. Many ignition or electrical issues in your car can come from corroded battery connections. Check these to see if they need a good cleaning with a wire brush. You should also have your battery tested and if it’s older than three years, you might want to consider replacing it.
- Replace air filter. An air filter is an important part of any car, yet one that is frequently overlooked. Usually, it needs to be changed twice per year and is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace without needing any tools.
These are our recommended fall car care tips. These are easy enough to do yourself, or you can always make an appointment with the Bill Harris Auto Center service department and we will be happy to perform these steps and any other needed or recommended service.